This statement applies to Official Pty Ltd ABN 66105 222 642 (“OFFICIAL”, “us” or “we”) and its related entities and all their employees, servants, agents, contractors and the recipients of the information.
OFFICIAL understands the importance of privacy and the importance of maintaining the confidentiality and security of the information we obtain about you. This policy sets out OFFICIAL's information handling practices and procedures.
Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and National Privacy Principles
OFFICIAL is committed to protecting your privacy and to complying with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the National Privacy Principles (“NPPs”).
1. Collection of personal information
What personal information we collect from you
OFFICIAL collects and holds personal information for lawful purposes connected with and for the purpose of performing our functions.
We may collect:
- Mailing or billing address
- Phone number
- Details of the products and services you have purchased from us or any additional information necessary to assist you with delivery of those products and services.
Why we collect personal information
The personal information that we collect and hold depends on the nature of the service being provided. Primarily, we use personal information for:
- assisting you with the ordering and purchasing of items using our services;
- answering your queries;
- promotional material that you have consented to receive.
Personal information will only be collected by lawful and fair means without unreasonable intrusiveness and in accordance with the NPP.
Other information may be collected from you when you use our website http://official.com.au. The information collected and held by us will depend on your use of the website and any services you request from us. Not all of the information collected and held by us from your use of the website will be personal information as it will not necessarily reveal your identity.
2. Use and disclosure of personal information
Personal information will only be used or disclosed for the primary purpose of collection unless at least one of the following applies:
- The personal information is used/disclosed for a purpose directly related to the primary purpose of collection and it
would be reasonable to expect that we would use or disclose the information for that purpose; or
- We have obtained your consent; or
- We have obtained the consent of the source or database owner to use the personal information for a particular use; or
- We have obtained a written undertaking from the party to whom the personal information is intended to be given that it is committed to protecting your privacy and to complying with the requirements of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the NPPs; or
- We reasonably believe that use/disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent::
- A serious and imminent threat to an individual’s life, health or safety; or
- A serious threat to public health or public safety; or
- We have reason to suspect unlawful activity has been, is being or may be engaged in, and the use/disclosure of the information is a necessary part of its investigation into the matter or in reporting its concerns to relevant authorities; or
- Disclosure occurs for a purpose permitted, required or authorised by law; or
- Disclosure occurs in relation to; the enforcement of criminal law, or a law imposing a pecuniary penalty; or laws relating to the confiscation of the proceeds of crime; or the protection of public revenue; or the prevention, detection, investigation of seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct; or the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or implementation of the orders of a court or tribunal. If we use or disclose the personal information a written note of its use or disclosure will be made.
We use non-persistent cookies throughout the OFFICIAL website, which are stored in your machine's memory for the duration of your session with us.
If your browser is configured to reject all cookies, you will be unable to use the services on the OFFICIAL website that requires cookies in order to participate. You may still be able to use some information-only pages if you do not accept cookies.
4. Data quality
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure personal information that is used or disclosed is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
5. Data security
We are committed to protecting the personal information we hold from misuse or loss, unauthorised access; modification; or disclosure.
We use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) to secure data transmission between your computer and our website and the websites of our partners.
When you make payments for our products and services we do not collect or store your credit card details, our payment merchant's system takes care of your payment information security.
If personal information is no longer needed for any purpose for which it can be used or disclosed, we will take steps to destroy or permanently de-identify the information.
Upon your request, we will take reasonable steps to let you know what sort of personal information we hold about you, for what purpose it is held, and how we collect, store, use and disclose that information.
Your requests should be directed to and will be dealt with as swiftly as possible. The time it takes to respond to your request will depend on the amount of information you request and whether the information is still in use or in our possession.
7. Access and correction
If we hold personal information about you, you may access the information on request, except where:
- in the case of personal information other than health information - providing access would pose a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of any individual; or
- in the case of health information providing access would have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of other individuals; or
- the request is frivolous or vexatious; or
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between OFFICIAL and you, and the information would not be accessible by the process of discovery; or
- providing access would reveal our intentions in relation to negotiations with you in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations; or
- providing access would be unlawful; or
- denying access is required or authorised by or under law; or
- providing access would be likely to prejudice an investigation of possible unlawful activity; or
- providing access would be likely to prejudice:
- the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences, breaches of a law imposing a penalty or sanction or breaches of a prescribed law; or
- the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of the proceeds of crime; or
- the protection of the public revenue; or
- the prevention, detection, investigation or remedying of seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct; or
- the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or implementation of its orders, by or on behalf of an enforcement body; or
- an enforcement body performing a lawful security function asks us not to provide access to the information on the basis that providing access would be likely to cause damage to the security of Australia; or
- If providing access would reveal information generated within OFFICIAL in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process, we will provide an explanation for the commercially sensitive decision rather than direct access to the information.
We may levy charges for providing access to personal information. Such charges will not be excessive and charges will not apply to lodging a request for access.
If we hold personal information about an individual that is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, we will take reasonable steps to:
- correct the information; and
- notify the source or database owner to correct the personal information and work with it to ensure the personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date;
- notify the source or database owner of any request you make to correct the personal information.
In some circumstances, we will delete the personal information if we are unable to respond to your request, comply with the NPPs or ensure the personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date within 7 days.
We will provide reasons for denial of access to, or refusal to correct, personal information.
8. Removal of personal Information
Upon your request we will take all reasonable steps to remove, delete or otherwise destroy the personal information we hold about you. We will cease to use the personal information from the date of your request.
We will not adopt as an identifier of an individual, an identifier assigned by a government agency. We will not use or disclose an identifier assigned to an individual by a government agency unless:
- the use or disclosure is necessary for us to fulfil its obligations to the agency; or
- we reasonably believe that use/disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent:
- a serious and imminent threat to an individual’s life, health or safety; or
- a serious threat to public health or public safety; or
- we have reason to suspect unlawful activity has been, is being or may be engaged in, and the use/disclosure of the information is a necessary part of its investigation into the matter; or
- disclosure occurs for a purpose permitted, required or authorised by law; or
- disclosure occurs in relation to the enforcement of criminal law, or a law imposing a pecuniary penalty; or the protection of public revenue; or the prevention, detection, investigation of seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct; or the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or implementation of the orders of a court or tribunal.
Wherever it is lawful and practicable, individuals have the option of not identifying themselves when entering into transactions with us.
11. Sensitive information
We will not collect sensitive information revealing racial/ethnic origin, political opinions, religious/philosophical beliefs, membership of a political, professional or trade association, religious beliefs, philosophical beliefs, sexual preferences or practices, criminal record or details of health, about an individual unless:
- the individual has consented; or
- the collection is required by law; or
- the collection is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of any individual, where the individual whom the information concerns:
- is physically or legally incapable of giving consent to the collection; or
- physically cannot communicate consent to the collection; or
- the collection is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal or equitable claim.
If you have an issue with the way that we are handling your personal information, you should contact us in the first instance. If we are unable to reach a satisfactory solution with you through negotiation, you may wish to request an independent person to investigate the complaint such as the Privacy Commissioner.
13. Contact Details
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you require further information regarding our management of personal information or other assistance.